This image of the Worfield Recreation Room was taken on Saturday 31st August 2013 when a day was designated for cleaning the Recreation Room. How beautiful the main room look can be seen from this photo. Worfield Recreation Room was the idea of a former Vicar of Worfield, Robert Cecil Harwood Evans. In 1903 the Reverend Evans felt there was a need for a room to be a concert hall and a club room and offered to fund the building if the land could be provided. Mrs Morrison of Wyken did just that and the Recreation Room’s first season was in 1913. Essentially the Room was to be a working mens club where men could gather each evening after work and chat over a cup of tea. During the First World War (and the Second World War) the Recreation Room was used as a VAD hospital. After 1918 servicemen returning home took a lease on a piece of land adjacent to the Rec Room for sports use and it was here that Worfield’s football and cricket clubs developed. Indoor sports have also been played such as table tennis and badminton. In the one hundred years since the start of the Recreation Room it has been the home to a variety of village activities, including the WI who still meet here on the third Thursday of every month. The Parish of Worfield has reason to be grateful to the philanthropy of Robert Evans and Mrs Morrison who created such a fine building for public use.
This item has been licensed for reuse under the Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Creative Commons Licence.